I've been to North Goa quite a few times, this trip was a planned to be a short chilled out stay - South Goa for you! The Zuri White sands is located near Varca and is everything I needed. Beautiful rooms, lovely pool, great for a short stay or long, excellent corporate venue and fantastic wedding venue! The beach is a five minute walk and is CLEAN with a few shacks. Highly recomended
Been here before but let down. I was here 7 years ago and it has not changed. Not worth 220 pounds a night for a room with no breakfast. Wifi intermittent. Staff are nice especially, Naresh in restuarant, spa staff, pool staff and the guy who drove us to the beach. Needs updating for a five star. Let down! Won't stay here again
After having to checkout from the Leela Goa due to being sold out we turned our eyes to the zuri hotels after being recommended there. From two rooms we received one room at 3:15 which was fair enough. Luckily my parents were coming later that night so their room wasnt as important to get at the same time. After having checked in to the room I was in for a shock looking at the condition of the room. 1. The two double beds were made one and joined together which made it highly uncomfortable which is still passable Id say.
2. The plug socket next to the bed side table refused to budge which made charging my phone impossible. I had to charge my phone near the study table while accessing alarms and phone calls mid slumber made it cumbersome. After having called the operator several times the same wasnt fixed.
3. The condition of the menu in the room is so poor and shabby with pages torn and scribbled on, that it did not feel worth it to even order from it.
4. The tissue box in the bathroom didnt have a bottom to it which means the tissues were being dispensed while having their base on the floor. Il attach pictures for the same too.
5. Moreover the planning of the room is so bad that bedside switches need to be switched on and off from the hallway.
6. The shoeshine placed in the room was already used by the previous guests and dont know for how long it had been there.
7. I requested the team both Housekeeping and the front desk to get my room turned around by 7pm as Id be leaving for a wedding which on returning was still left undone. When I returned at 12 I did mention it to the receptionist both about the turndown and the bedside slot who said hed run it by his manager as well. But I didnt even get a courtesy call the next day to empathize with nor did anyone even know about it.
8. My parents checked in later that night and their registration formalities with the ID proof etc had already been done, yet checkin took a while at 12am because the receptionist wasnt sure whether the ID was collected which is a clear form of miscommunication which had been observed in just a span on 5 hours which I spent in the room.
9. The phone in my room was kept on the study table Instead of the bedside table so every time it rang I would have to wake up miss slumber and answer it where once I got a call during my afternoon nap regarding promotional offers at the blue lagoon and whether Id be interested in making a booking. The privacy of a person is absolutely not honored I believe.
10. And I dont know from when one knock and announcing yourself whilst bursting into a door for cleaning of the room is normal. The housekeeping attendant knocked just once and opened the door without even waiting or knocking thrice.
11. The food is absolutely mediocre and the staff has no idea of the spread they serve on the buffet. I asked a restaurant staff during breakfast hours to get me a French toast. He got me a French baguette sliced up first. Second he got me a focaccia and finally he asked me what a French toast was for which they have a live counter; something the staff should know and be trained against.
13. The spa treatment is absolutely overpriced. Except for the shishodhara which I wanted to get done I was coaxed into getting a body massage which was nothing but a malish in lay man terms. I could barely relax because I was being torn from limb to limb. And I dont blame the guy who was doing it because if hasnt been trained in creating and atmosphere of complete zen its not his fault. The bathroom in the spa room was on the whole time during my treatment which made the room so much brighter and made it harder to relax and shut your eyes.
After all this I did run by one of the duty managers and informed her all of the above. She did empathize and had the charging slot fixed immediately but that doesnt mean that the communication between the different departments is on par. I dont think except for a few any one else gives a damn at the property. The beach and the pool are the only two things which make up for it but the price you pay is not worth this mediocrity. The layout of the rooms is so pathetic. My mom has a back problem and she had to walk along passageways for ten minutes to reach her room . The staff doesnt look motivated to do anything out of the ordinary neither do I think enough time and money is spent into their training because there is nothing five star or even humanly hospitable about this place. Coming from a hospitality background and working in a hotel myself I can literally identify loop holes throughout my stay and it doesnt speak highly of a brand. The front desk did offer us some remuneration but its absolutely not worth another stay. The rooms are extremely shabby and in a very poor condition. The doors have been chipped at several places and maintenance has just coated them over with a white paint. The amenities in the room are below par. They dont have international adaptors. Its great for foreign nationals to adapt here because they dont expect much and pay a very low amount in comparison to their local currency . The managers of the hotel need to step up their game and work these kinks out because if and organization lacks communication then theres nothing which can be done.
This is my second trip to the Zuri. I stayed for Xmas and new year in 2015 and came back again for 11 nights for the same period this festive season. As a returning guest staying a long time again I didnt feel anything special was done as other hotels have elsewhere.
Nothing has changed in the hotel since my last trip. It has the same amazing pool and immaculate gardens that the two ladies work tirelessly on each day in the heat with the head gardener. (Please thank the ladies for keeping the gardens so beautiful.)
The beach is wide, long, spotless and the sand lovely and soft. We only encountered one hawker.
My room was the same style as the one I booked before, overlooking the pool. It has a big bed, lovely shower, AC that works well. No complaints other than the room looks tired and needs some refreshing or updating, a lick of paint and a deep clean.
Breakfast buffet at peak season is a bit of a zoo from 9.30 to 10.30am. This is the same in most hotels anywhere in the world. We tried to get there early each morning to enjoy a more peaceful experience but jet lag worked against us and it was packed to capacity if we arrived towards the end of service. The food was varied and the service efficient but this high traffic area takes a bashing every day and the decor and furniture is looking rough around the edges. A deep clean is required and the windows need painting and cleaning.
The two hotel parties on Xmas eve and New Years Eve were amazing. The food buffets prepared for the guests were outstanding. Well done chefs for both events.
On New Years Eve there was an amazing firework display at midnight. The DJ played great music and kept the dance floor filled. The stage and lighting was amazing. The live band was so so. The only frustration was the hostess for the evening who had a knack for stopping the party dead when the dance floor was packed to ask for it to be cleared for the Goan dancers. Once their act was over she then kept asking the crowd to return to the dance floor. Maybe next time just let the party dance the night away. Keep the dance act to the start of the evening only and please please please dont stop the dancing 10 mins before midnight to talk to the crowds about the countdown. Its a shame as the party would have been better without these regular irritating interruptions. I heard a number of guests commenting re this. Anyway. The party was good, we welcomed in 2018 and the stage and sound system was amazing and would do well to host any touring rock band.
Please note external guests could attend the NYE party by buying tickets for 4000 rupees. What a bargain. I was charged about 10,000 per head, with my room, paid in advance, non negotiable.
I generally feel the hotel is starting to look a bit tired and needs something to be done to refresh its entrance, the lobby area, the common areas. The fish tank behind the reception for example. The art on the walls and furniture could be changed. As a returning guest it would be nice to see investment being made to keep the place fresh. I can see lots of maintenance activity going on but there are so many broken tiles in the garden and pool area it needs more of a planned update to keep the place safe and current.
The spa is another area. I had a treatment and the service was good but the facilities are looking a bit dated.
My final comment is on the taxis operating at the hotel. Its a complete monopoly. The prices get hiked up in peak season. There are extras applied for all sorts of things and the taxis are almost the same price as London. Not what you would expect in Goa. Something needs to be done to bring the prices down. I actually spoke to a couple who cancelled their dinner plans at an external restaurant because the taxi charge over the festive period was going to be more than the cost of the meal, and that was to go 10 to 15 mins drive down the road. If the taxi prices stay so high you dont want to go out. Maybe thats the plan.
The pool and beach are the biggest attractions but Im not sure that Id come again. For what I paid for my stay this is a 5 star hotel that has lost its edge. it needs investment and modernisation to keep up with the local 5* competition.
This hotel is not a 5-star resort. The entire hotel has no guest elevator! My 80-year-old parents had to climb 20+ stairs just to get to the breakfast room, or wait for and then take a long golf-cart ride around the resort! The staff made us wait for service on several occasions, and made several mistakes. The breakfast has good food but without the personal service of other 5-star breakfasts. The rooms are showing their age.
On the plus side, the Zuri is located on an excellent beach that is clean and free of crowds and vendors. The grounds are large and pools are nice. If you don't need an elevator, can put up with dated rooms, and don't need warm personal service, the Zuri can provide a nice beach and pool.