Although Lonelyplanet advised to stay here, I still dont understand why. So many things went wrong that I don't know where to start, let's see:
- Reception: we checked in at night, and the reception staff were very rude, they seemed to not enjoy their job at all. When we wanted to pay, I clarified that I could only pay by credit card with signature, and the staff person simply replied "That's not possible", When I tried to explain that it had worked so far like that in all hotels in India, he interrupted me and would say again "No, not possible, if it isnt with PIN, then it's not possible". So, when I said that that was the only means of payment I had he proceeded to let us know then that we couldnt stay. Great! not even 3 minutes inside and we were being kicked out. Eventually we could pay with another card we had, but that was the worst reception ever...
- Room: We were not given the room we had booked so I called to point this out, reception admitted they didnt have the one we had booked available. So when I asked for refund since the room we had costed less, the man just said that it wasnt possible. what the hell?
- Wifi: after several requests to have the password, and reception simply telling us that in '30 minutes' they would give us one, we gave just up, and we ended up connecting to another wifi we found nearby. This hotel simply doesnt care about service...
- Room service: this hotel doesnt clean your room every day, so bring your own toilet paper and water bottles...
- Buffet breakfast_ worst value for money, the buffet only offers toast, coffee, fruit, and thats it.... so its better to have a good breakfast outside
In a nutshell, for the price they charge you would expect at least a basic service, but none of that happens.
Outer circle of Connaught place and close to Janpath this budget hotel is great for getting around Delhi. Close to Rajiv Chowk the metro is at your fingertips as are autorickshaws and taxis. Rooms are clean, very 1970s decor but comfortable. Breakfast was OK, totally adequate for the price we paid to stay there. Totally cool place for people who want clean, comfortable, cheap. The lovely young man on reception was very helpful. Location is king here, coupled with convenience. Perfect if coming from airport metro station or New Delhi railway station. Prepaid taxi from NDLS is 100rp, boom.
We arrived from the airport in the evening and checked into our room on the 2nd floor and then went to dinner. The food was great and the variety amazing. We then went to our room and the noise coming from the next door disco/coffee shop was so incredible that we asked for a room change. We were moved to another room on the 3rd floor which was just as loud and smelt of sewage (after traveling for 2 months this was nothing new but this was just too much) so we were moved again to the first floor which by this time it was 11pm and we were advised that the music would stop at 1am. We just turned the aircon on (which was really loud) and it seemed to drown out the din. Waking in the morning, we went to breakfast which was ok and then went exploring for a bit. The position is great but the noise and smell is just too much.
We used this hotel as a base for our travels around India,returning four times during six weeks in country. Rooms were good, always clean and staff were excellent and very helpful. Centrally located in New Delhi, close to Connaught Place and other attractions.
Go when toy have plenty of time for a leisurely lunch and Order the Maharaja or maharani thali and sir back and relax. One might feel that the service is a little slow but it is old world courteous. The chords is delicious.