We had booked a lake view room (the room no. was 111) and the view was total value for money. The terrace gives a panoramic view of Lake Pichola with views of the Amet Haveli and Taj Lake Palace. The morning view is as serene as it can get while the night view is totally relaxing.
The room was clean and the windows have a sit out where you can spend hours looking at the lake and doing nothing!
The staff was very courteous. The location is good with Jagdish Temple and City Palace within close proximity.
Stayed here for two nights and I normally start off with the good things and then the worst so will follow the same here, but don't forget to read the last point...
1. Had booked all three rooms that were lake facing and the views are amazing
2. The rooms were spacious and airy
3. Located close to some attractions which are at a walkable distance
4. Has a open roof top restaurant with amazing view of Lake Pichola
5. I found the hotel staff to fairly courteous barring one who was doing the night shift who had no idea about how to treat visitors
1. Went into the bath room and realised that the exhaust fan of some other room's bathroom was in our bathroom. This meant if you did not keep the exhaust fan on always your bathroom could be stinking.
1. We had asked for a extension in check out by an hour for which they had agreed. Later they created an issue due to which I had to rush back and check out and leave the luggage in the waiting room. This ensured that I lost at least one and a half hour and the plan went for a toss.
2. During day, the hotel is not approachable by car and has to be stopped near Chand Pole. If you call the staff they suggest you to take a autorickshaw and pay the fare. So had to tell them that it was not our fault and finally they paid.
3. This one was the biggest shock. As we had checked out we were asked to sit in the waiting area either near reception or in a room on the roof. We chose the roof as it had plenty of area to sit. The room was filled with pungent smell and we realised that there were two dogs roaming around in the hotel. The entire family was sitting there and suddenly one of the dogs, a pug, walks in. We were fine with it until it started urinating on one of the bean bags. Suddenly realised that there plenty of beds in the rooms, which may well be used in the rooms as well. So we were dreaded at the thought that we may well be sleeping on one of the beds. Not sure whether they were unused beds or they will be used. But still this ensured that the entire stay was ruined by this one incident.
We stayed in this hotel in Nov 2017 for 4 nights. While I was finding a hotel before our trip to Udaipur, I searched a lot of travel sites for recommendations, & I must confess it was difficult to shortlist one, as there were a lot of similar hotels in a similar price range. Then I found something exicting about this hotel that made me to book it without any second thoughts. There are 3 amazing aspects about this hotel:
1. The hotel has a rooftop restaurant that has simply an amazing view of lake Pichola. Especially, candle light dinner on the roof top under moonlight with cool breeze from the lake is just an awesome experience.
2. The hotel is walk through a narrow and colourful lanes in the heart of Udaipur. The lanes around this hotel are lined with colourful temples, artisans and handicraft shops. Attractions like city palace, Bagore ki haveli, Jagadeesh temple are walking distance from this hotel.
3. The interiors, paintings in the hotel actually makes you feel that you are in Rajasthan. It is not just another hotel. Staff are courteous. There are 2 cute hosts (dogs), Brandy and Tuffy.
Although there are some negative reviews about food served in the roof top restaurant, I really liked the food in the hotel. Roti, Rice and curries tastes awesome. Pizzas, Pasta, Choupsey etc. all very good. Breakfast is decent but the options are limited. Govind who in charge of the restaurant is soft spoken and a caring guy.
Novemeber is really a beautiful time to visit because the weather is just awesome.
Only negative about this hotel is that, it is about 1 km walk from the city palace parking if you are travelling by a "taxi/ yellow board vehicle". The taxis are not allowed beyond a certain point. Walking on the road can be challenging because the road is narrow and there a lot of vehicles that zip through it. Auto rickshaw guys are tough and can charge like 150 bucks for a ride from hotel to palace parking or the other way. There is no way to negotiate with these guys and he will easily foul mouth you if you ask him some questions. Me being an Indian, I can imagine the plight of foreigners.
All said and done, there are more positive to say than negatives. If you want to experience something different, just go for it.
After check-in this hotel. I got 2 terrible experiences there.
1) Booking system
Firstly i booked 1 room for 2 nights from Agoda. When i arrived at hotel, staff told me there is no my booking shown in their hotel system. I showed them my "Agoda Confirmed Booking" that sent by Agoda via my email. I'm so surprised no my booking shown from Agoda System.
Finally the system showed i booked room for 2 nights from "booking.com." It's so confused and took time to clear this matter.
2) As breakfast was included in my room rates, I went to rooftop for having a breakfast at 8.00 am on November 9, 2017. A hotel staff told me it was cleaning kitchen, it was needed to wait for 1 hour. I understood and waited for 1.10 hours.
Then I went to hotel rooftop again, the kitchen was still not ready for breakfast. They asked me to wait for more 30 minutes.
As i had only 1 day in Udaipur, the breakfast made my plan delayed all day. In summary i paid for breakfast but didnt have breakfast on the day.
It was bad experiences when stayed there. Staff at front counter don't care how u felt, no serviced-minded and no any information informed in advance when i check-in.
Stayed there for couple nights, rooms are smaller but cozy and better than average hotel.
Roof top restaurant provides spectacular views of Lake Pichola, Taj Palace hotel and surrounding mountain range. Restaurant provides good food and staff is helpful.
Recommend book free-breakfast option while making a booking. Definitely recommend and would stay here if visiting in future.