In the beginning of October 2018, we booked a room for February 2019 via booking.com. The terms of payment mentioned an advance payment of 1 night, we booked for 3 nights. I received a mail from the hotel asking for 50% advance, which adds up to more than one night. On enquiry and reference to the terms of payment, which mention an advance payment of 1 night, and not 50%, the manager agreed to 1 night advance. I just asked if that would be refundable in case of cancellation. Rajesh said, that I will get my advance refunded, if I cancel before 31. Jan. 2019.
Unfortunately, I had to cancel the whole trip, therefore the stay at Hotel Alka too. I emailed Rajesh on 2. January. No reaction from his side. I again emailed him on 17. January, where I finally got a reply on 18. Jan telling me ...'you dont worry, we will return your money after this month because our accountant is on leave till 31. Jan.
After I called (!) to ask when to expect the money in my account, since I didn't consider that they have only ONE accountant who can make transfers, Rajesh assured me that the refund will be transferred between 31. Jan and 2. Feb 2019. Today is the 7. of Feb, I still haven't received my money. My various emails have all been ignored, my phone calls as well. I'm told again and again, that Rajesh is not available, whether only for me or in general, I'm not even sure anymore. The accountant promised me yesterday, to make the transfer today, still nothing done. And today, he doesn't even answer my call.
On the first call, Rajesh told me 'what do you want, you cancelled', in a very rude, totally unprofessional way, I wouldn't even talk to my worst enemy like that. Obviously he hasn't received any training on how to deal with upset customers, or any training at all, for that matter. I am very happy, that I will not be staying in this hotel, since they treat their potential guests that badly already. I don't even want to find out how an actual guest is treated by these people.
A good and affordably priced 'Ganga Kinare' set up, Alka hotel has outdoor sit outs providing a commanding view of the river at Meer Ghat. Outdoor balconies provide a panoramic sweep of activities on the river while enjoying the excellent in-house catering.The staff led by the active Munnaji are ever ready to help and provide excellent pointers /arrangements on visits, shopping and seva/darshan. There is as Ayurvedic Massage Parlour and a small Souvenir shop in-house. Due to the narrow lanes around the place, it's a short walk to the main road. Luggage movement facilities are provided by the staff. For Varanasi sight-seeing autos are more practical.
Hotel alka is centrally located , 10 min from kashi vishwanath temple , 2 min from the ganga ghat and 10 min from the main road. Clean and well maintained. The staff is also helpful. Loved the stay there this month . Highly recommended by me
Firstly this hotel is a cross between a B&B and a hotel, but an absolute delight to stay in. So here are the pros and cons of staying here :
1) Strategically located on the banks of the river Ganga, from where you can walk within minutes to the Dashashwamedh ghat for the Ganga Aarti or the Kashi Vishwanath Mandir.
2) The biggest asset they have is their travel manager, Munnabhai who is very helpful and can guide you with whatever you wish to do in Varanasi or wherever you wish to go.
3) The food is fantastic and made to order, so absolutely fresh and tasty.
4) Extremely co-operative and wonderful staff.
5) Spacious rooms with beautiful views,especially the ones which face the river.
The cons :
1) The road that leads to this hotel! I was in doubt when I was first led from the chowk to the hotel, whether I had made the right decision.
2) The rooms are not cleaned on a daily basis,unless you specifically ask for.
3) No tea kettle in the room, hence we had to leave without tea or coffee on the last day of our trip since we left early in the morning and they do not serve anything before 7.30 am.
If they just do a few improvisations, this is one of the best hotels in Varanasi which is value for money.
It is my second time and hotel is a nice place to stay. Best in budget and good for vegetarian people. It has got good staff and nice reception team . I love this place and its staff. The management family is also good one.