A decent hotel which is very near to railway station & also bus stop they have arranged pick and drop for me , i have been here with my family though hotel looks small the rooms are no lesser than that of star category hotel. the good thing about this hotel is neatness. complimentary break fast offered here is limited in quantity so, anybody who wants to eat a little more should shell out few more Rupees. over all it was pleasant experience staying at southern grand.
Hotel seemed perfect to me. The location is excellent, really close to railway station near registration office, room was good, clean and spacious but service was absolutely pathetic. To begin they were giving me basic room though i had booked executive room, i had to tell them that i have booked executive room (why didnt they know this, it was online booking through MMT),They never gave me what I ordered in room service (I always asked tea with sugar separate they gave sweet tea no matter how many times i told them), sometimes they wont serve at all saying they "missed'' the order. When I asked for laundry, they did not come to pick up laundry cloths and told me that "person'' was not available. Breakfast is just ok nothing great plus they only serve vegetarian. Staff behavior and body language too doesn't make you feel welcomed, they would make faces or give haughty reply if questioned for lack of service. To top it all, there was no wi-fi, if i had known this earlier i would have never stayed at the place (ad was misleading), to this they lied at the time of check out saying 'it will start working tomorrow' which never worked. There are plenty of good places nearby, go there or if you don't care about service then you can stay for the sake of location.
Booked Southern Grand through MakemyTrip for my official visit (15-18th Oct). First impression was, it seemed to be nice but with small rooms.
The positives about this hotel first:
1. Very good staff, always smiling. Front desk is very courteous
2. Location is good, walking distance from the railway station
3. Quiet locality
4. Check-in, Check-out was very seamless
5. Airport drop available on request
6. Vegetarian hotel, so no eggs. Food, some say, is good
Now the negatives:
1. Police party came knocking on the door at 11:40 pm. Had to show multiple proofs & face lot of questioning. Experienced the unexpected guests the first time, despite staying at hundreds of hotels in the last 5 years. Hotel management said some incident had happened that night and hence people staying alone were checked upon. Ok, agreed..
2. Termites on the bed and in towels. First night I thought it was mosquitoes. But second night saw the termites moving on the bed and in the towel also. Informed the reception and asked for changing my room. They told that since hotel is sold out, they will change my room in the morning and offered to change the bedsheets, pillow covers etc. which I accepted.
3. WiFi did not work on both days of my stay. Complained twice but it did not get fixed.
4. Breakfast and Dinner menu is so limited that it seems like it is a PG or a dormitory. But vegetarian people say that food is good.
5. At nights, the hotel had engagement and other functions going on on the first floor. Lot of guests coming and going which disturbs the peace. These functions could be arranged in the basement or elsewhere to avoid disturbance to the guests staying in the hotel at least
6. 10:30 p.m. the restaurant closes. You cannot order even a cup of coffee or any snacks if you are late. Even our hostels have Ala Carte menu after the closing time !!
7. Please bring your own toiletries. No shampoo or toothpaste available. Bring your towels also for wiping your hands as no small towels beside the washbasin.
8. Minibar was overpriced, but I guess thats the case everywhere. MRP is not for the hotels and even water can be charged Rs.40/-
I stayed in room 406. Because of termites I decided to cut short my stay here and called up MakemyTrip at 2 a.m. With almost 45 mins to 1 hour of call with them and they internally escalating it to the supervisor in Kolkata (I believe his name was Mohit), I got a new hotel at 3 a.m. in the night.
I have become a loyalist now of MakemyTrip after this -- They arranged a new hotel for me and that too 1-star above (from 3 to 4). From Southern Grand I came to Fortune Murali Park at 3:30 a.m., which is one of the best available hotels in Vijayawada. Awesome show of courteousness and hospitality by MakemyTrip. WOM publicity is assured sir for your help. Visited MMT website also, but could not find a place to write a good review for you.
Southern Grand staff was very apologetic for the whole saga and even gave me complimentary drop to my new hotel.
Hope the termites are not spreading to other rooms and this menace is contained. I would not recommend it to others due to the ordeal I had to go through
Nice property good location Rooms are clean, breakfast spread is ok, near to railway station, staff are polite.
Only vegetarian dishes are available at the restaurant attached.
Checkin was fast enough
I stayed here for a night at vijayawada
Hotel is good clean
Location is not great as it is located in a congested street
Food is OK in attached restaurant though not great
Room service is very late
Value for money